This is the third year of our popular Photography Contest, open to all,
with no age based categories. Again this year is the ability to submit up to FOUR
photographs, each representing one of 5 Categories of subjects. Judging will be by one or more local professional photographers.
RULES - 2019
1. Limit of 4 photographs per entrant.
2. All photographs must be taken in Monterey County.
3. No photographs with people/humans will be accepted.
4. Only photos with standard optimization (i.e., removal of dust, cropping, "reasonable" optimization of exposure, color, contrast, etc.) will be accepted in the 5 major categories. Photos optimized beyond this will be placed in a separate category of "Digitally Altered" photos.
5. All photographic subjects must be in one of these 5 categories (black and white or color):
d. Local Landscapes
6. All photographs must be printed in 8"x10" size either landscape or portrait.
7. An Entry Fee of $5/photo will be charged at time of submission.
8. By submitting a photo to the Garden Show Photography Contest you grant the Carmel Valley Garden Club a royalty free, non-exclusive license to use the photo for publicity purposes in perpetuity including use on the Internet and in Social Media.
9. Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be submitted as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license (for unlimited publicity purposes).
What We Supply at Entry
We will supply an 11"x14" beveled mat with a 7.5"x 9.5" opening, and a backing sheet. These will be yours to keep after the show.
You will mount your photos at time of entry. You will also fill out two information cards, one to be placed on the backing sheet and the other handed to staff.
You will be required to sign a release and limitation of liability for your photos at time of entry.
Judging and Awards
Photos will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, artistic merit and subject matter relevance to the category. Judging will be conducted by one or more professional photographers. At their discretion, they may choose to change the category of an entry. Their decisions will be finial.
Ribbons: A first, second, third, honorable mention and best of show will be awarded in each class at the judges’ discretion. In addition, there will be a Popular Choice Award - Attendees vote on their favorite entry of the entire show. The popular choice ribbon will be presented on Sunday @ 3:30 pm.
Submissions and Pick-up
All photos must be submitted in person. They can be brought to Hidden Valley Music Seminars to the Conference Room (check site map
and location signs will be posted) on Thursday, May 2, between 3:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
No late entries will be accepted.
Photo Pick-up will be Sunday, May 5 between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
at the Dance Studio. No early photo removal will be permitted. Proof of ownership will be required while exiting the show.
Sale of Photos
If you are interested in selling any of your photos, at the time of submission, set a price and agree to an 80/20 split in the price with the Garden Club: 80% to the artist, 20% to the Carmel Valley Garden Club. This applies to multiple sales of the same image.
For More Information
Garden Show Main Page